Theresa May’s government has failed older people, their cuts to social care have resulted in over one million older people not getting the care they need. Labour will spend an extra £45 billion on the NHS and social care over five years. In Chingford and Woodford Green, 13,500 people are set to lose out on their Winter Fuel Payments. That's 85% of people who locally benefit from it. We have a better plan.
The Tory plans, according to their Manifesto, include the following:
1. Scrapping the ‘triple lock’ on state pensions so that pensioner incomes are no longer protected.
2. Means testing Winter Fuel Payments to remove support to heat the homes of ten million pensioners.
3. Forcing those who need social care to pay for it with their homes.
Labour will stand up for older people and has made five key pledges to ensure older people have the security and dignity they deserve:
1. Secure pensioner incomes with the Triple-Lock on state pensions.
2. Protect the Winter Fuel Allowance and free bus passes for pensioners.
3. An extra £45 billion for the NHS and social care.
4. No rise in the state pension age beyond 66.
5. Justice for women born in the 1950s hit by five year rise in pension age.